Los Alamos National Laboratory Undergraduate Visual Designer in Los Alamos, New Mexico
What You Will Do
Help design graphics for e-Learning experiences at one of the world’s most prestigious and innovative multidisciplinary research institutions. Join the Communication Arts and Services (CEA-CAS) group of Visual Designers and work alongside the Institutional Training Services (ITS) team at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) to communicate LANL’s mission to internal audiences through the creation of engaging learning experiences. This role will provide a hands-on opportunity to advance skills in graphic design, illustration, photo-editing, and the development and editing of e-Learning communications materials. We are looking for someone that can preferably work part-time year-round.
The position is located in Los Alamos, NM.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
● Basic knowledge of graphic design, visual communication, and illustration techniques.
● Understanding of how to work within and apply style guides and design systems.
● Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and proficiency in using productivity software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
● Basic understanding of file structure and formatting in order to archive and retrieve digital files from servers.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interact with a diverse professional population.
● Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize work on multiple projects at once.
● Ability to accept and implement feedback from multiple stakeholders.
● Applicant must be enrolled in an undergraduate program with a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0.
● Experience and demonstrated skill in working on both PC and Mac platforms.
● Basic knowledge or experience with specialized design techniques, such as branding, typography, iconography, animation, data visualization, infographics, or interactive graphics
● Familiarity with e-Learning development tools.
● Familiarity with HTML/CSS
● Basic knowledge of general publication policies, practices, and procedures, including copyright laws.
Note to Applicants:
● Applicants must submit an online portfolio of recent work for consideration.
● In addition to a resume, applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter addressing their qualifications and experience related to the requirements of the position.
Location: This position will be physically located in Los Alamos, NM.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
§ PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
§ Dental and vision insurance
§ Free basic life and disability insurance
§ Paid maternity and parental leave
§ Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
§ Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
§ Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
§ Onsite gyms and wellness programs
§ Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2 . Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
No Clearance: Position does not require a security clearance. Selected candidates will be subject to drug testing and other pre-employment background checks.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to PolicyPolicy P701for applicant eligibility requirements.
For general program information refer to theStudent Programsweb page.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Instructions on How to Activate/Create a LANL Jobs Account:
Follow the instructions below if you have ever had an employee Z number, been a contractor, or received Los Alamos Lab insurance coverage to activate your account:
Select the Click Here button if you have been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage .
Please enter only your first and last name and current email address (an email with your validation code will be sent to you) to activate the account currently in our system.
Enter your validation code as described in the email you receive and complete the 3-page registration form. Your account is now active and you can apply for jobs or save to your basket. Important : Enter the validation code within 15 days to activate your account or your account will be deactivated.
Follow the instructions below if you if you have never been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage to create an account:
Select the Register button if you have never been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage to Create an Account.
From here, you will establish an account with username and password.
How to Apply: Login to Your Account to Complete the Application Process
Click the Vacancy Name number (in blue) to view any job’s details.
Click Apply or Add to Basket to apply later. Tip : To apply for a job or save your basket, you must have a LANL jobs account.
If you experience any technical issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Contact Name Salyer, Reyna Linda
Vacancy Name: IRC85291
Organization Name CEA-CAS/Communications and External Affairs-Communication Arts and Services
Req ID: IRC85291
Category: Student - Undergraduate